Combine smoke, fire and pigs and a quasi-magical alchemy ensues. Add in an even better awareness and understanding of the ingredient - and how it is prepared - and it can take your porky barbecues to another level.
The formula for this relaxed, fun class at London Barbecue School is simple: our butcher Matt breaks down half a pig with us, then we prepare and cook it. There is plenty of opportunity for discussion and to learn about butchery and quality meat from Matt, and about barbecue from our tutor.
During the class you learn:
- how a pig is butchered
- the differences between traditional British cuts, and US "barbecue" cuts
- what factors makes for the finest pork
- sausage making
- the appropriate barbecue techniques for excellent cooking, depending on the animal and the cut
We will cook:
- Grilled secreto, Denver and loin chops
- Hot and fast pulled pork
- Quick sides
The class is mostly based around demonstration, discussion and eating. The main barbecue techniques we teach and use are:
- Hot and fast indirect cooking (and when it is appropriate instead of low and slow)
- Rotisserie grilling
What we provide:
- Tea, coffee and a bacon roll on arrival
- All the ingredients (we do not want you to go hungry!), equipment and fuel for the class
- Sausages made during the class to take home (please bring some means of keeping them cool for your journey home)
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (electronic format)
- Alcoholic drinks - available to purchase
- Classes can be cancelled/rearranged up to 2 weeks prior to the class date. After that cancellation/rebooking fees are payable, unless we can fill your space.
- Advanced written warning of any food allergies or dietary requirements is needed.
- Participants are required to wear flat, closed sole footwear for the class.
- Classes are only for participants aged 16 or older. Participants aged 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult for the duration of the class.