The class for people who are already familiar with indirect cooking or smoking, and who want to take their barbecue to the next level. In this class, taught by competition-winning barbecue chef Lap-fai Lee, we tackle more technically challenging dishes like brisket, though the prism of Central Texan style of barbecue.
In this class we cook and eat:
- Brisket - epitome of Texas barbecue, and one of the most challenging cuts to cook well - you'll be smoking them with style and confidence.
- Hot Links - one of the real arts of barbecue is making your own smoked sausages and Texas-style hot links are some of the best. We'll learn to do them properly: stuffing, linking, smoking and eating.
- Lockhart Pork Chops - the ultimate pork chops like they cook in Lockhart, Texas. Includes trimming down a whole joint, making rubs and sauces, mopping and finishing.
- Classic sides - probably the finest Texas-style sides east of the Atlantic.
During the classes we discuss:
- Selection and preparation of meats
- Choice of fuel and woods for smoking
- Use of rubs, marinades and mops
- Barbecue set up (both ceramic barbecues like Big Green Egg and kettle barbecues like Weber grills)
- Correct cooking and resting
We prepare the ingredients as a group and participants work in pairs to to look after each barbecue, 2 people to a barbecue. The barbecues we use for this class are Kamado Joe's Classic Joe (which is equivalent in size to a large Big Green Egg) and ProQ Excel Elite (bullet-shaped smoker) and Weber's Mastertouch 57cm. If you wish to learn using one of these models in particular please contact us before booking the class as the numbers of certain barbecues may be limited on the day of the class.
What we provide:
- Tea, coffee and a bacon roll on arrival
- All the ingredients and fuel for the class (we do not want you to go hungry!)
- A barbecue per 2 participants
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (normally electronic format, printed copies available on request)
- Alcoholic drinks - available to purchase
All our class dates for the 2018 Summer season are now published. Join our mailing list and we'll update you about future class dates, including our winter and Christmas Classes. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.