Texas isn't just the land of the stetson, the oil well and JR - to many it is the spiritual and literal home of barbecue. In this class, taught by competition-winning barbecue chef Lap-fai Lee, we focus on some of the region's classic dishes, as well as demistifying the barbecue techniques needed to cook them to perfection.
In this class we cook and eat:
- Brisket - epitome of Texas barbecue, you'll be smoking them with style and confidence!
- Hot Links - one of the real arts of barbecue is making your own smoked sausages and Texas-style hot links are some of the best. We'll learn to do them properly: stuffing, linking, smoking and eating.
- Lockhart Pork Chops - the ultimate pork chops like they cook in Lockhart, Texas. Includes trimming down a whole joint, making rubs and sauces, mopping and finishing.
- Classic sides - probably the finest Texas-style sides east of the Atlantic.
During the classes we discuss:
- Selection and preparation of meats
- Choice of fuel and woods for smoking
- Use of rubs, marinades and mops
- Barbecue set up (both ceramic barbecues like Big Green Egg and kettle barbecues like Weber grills)
- Correct cooking and resting
We prepare the ingredients as a group and participants work in pairs to to look after each barbecue, 2 people to a barbecue. The barbecues we use for this class are Kamado Joe's Classic Joe (which is equivalent in size to a large Big Green Egg) and ProQ Frontier Elite (bullet-shaped smoker) and Weber's Mastertouch 57cm. We provide notes and recipes for you to keep after the class and we'll cook plenty to eat during the class.
Class datesSaturday 24th June 2017, 10.00am - 3.00pm. £100