LOW AND SLOW BARBECUE CLASS
Many consider Low and Slow and cooking with smoke to be the epitome of barbecue cookery. In this relaxed class at London Barbecue School we demystify the techniques and tricks of using these methods and of making the most of inexpensive cuts.
- Selection and preparation of meats
- Choice of fuel and woods for smoking
- Rubs, marinades, cooking sauces
- Barbecue equipment and set up
- Cooking and resting
- Classic barbecue dishes that take too long to cook in this class – brisket and pork shoulder (discussion)
- Smoked beef shortribs, tender and juicy – cooked using spice rub and smoke.
- Pork loin ribs – we cover how to trim the ribs, use of spice rub, smoking and making and applying finishing glaze.
- Roasted lamb shoulder – with a harissa and spice rub; we slow cook the meat until it falls off the bone.
- Hot smoked salmon. We cure and hot-smoke fish.
- Slow-cooked barbecue vegetable sides
The ingredients are prepared as a group. Different dishes are cooked on different grills then shared round (you’ll see how everything is done).
The barbecues we use for this class are a mixture of Kamado Joe Classic Joe 2 barbecues (similar to the Big Green Egg), vertical smokers and Weber kettle barbecues. Contact us before booking if the barbecue model is important to you; certain barbecues may be limited on the day of the class.
- Tea or coffee and a bacon roll on arrival
- All the ingredients (we do not want you to go hungry!) and fuel for the class
- A barbecue for each pair of participants (people who come alone and groups of an odd number will be paired with someone else to share a grill).
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (electronic format)
- Alcoholic drinks - available to purchase
- Classes can be cancelled/rearranged up to 2 weeks prior to the class date. After that cancellation/rebooking fees are payable unless we can fill your space. Where refunds are payable they are subject to a 2.1% fee to cover non-recoverable expenses we incur when processing payments.
- Advanced written warning of any food allergies or dietary requirements is needed. We cannot always accommodate all dietary requirements, please contact us before booking if you have a dietary requirement.
- Participants are required to wear flat, closed sole footwear for the class, we cannot allow entry to people who are not wearing this type of footwear.
- Classes are only for participants aged 16 or older (due to a licensing restriction over which we have no discretion). Participants aged 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult participant for the duration of the class.