TEXAS BARBECUE MASTERCLASS
The class for people who are already familiar with indirect cooking or smoking, and who want to take their barbecue to the next level. Relaxed, instructive and fun, with a lot to eat.
In this class, taught by competition-winning barbecue chef Lap-fai Lee, we tackle more technically challenging dishes like brisket, though the prism of Central Texan style of barbecue.
- Sourcing and selection of meats
- Preparation, including injections and brining
- Choice of fuel and woods for smoking
- Use of rubs, spritzes and mops
- Barbecue set up (both ceramic barbecues like Big Green Egg and kettle barbecues like Weber grills)
- Correct cooking and resting
- Brisket – epitome of Texas barbecue, we demystify how to get great results from this challenging cut.
- Hot Links – Texas-style hot links are some of the best sausages; we make, smoke and eat them.
- Lockhart Pork Chops – the ultimate pork chops like they cook in Lockhart, Texas.
- Classic sides – probably the finest Texas-style sides east of the Atlantic.
The ingredients are prepared as a group. Different dishes are cooked on different grills then shared round (you’ll see how everything is done).
The barbecues we use for this class are a mixture of Kamado Joe Classic Joe 2 barbecues (similar to the Big Green Egg), vertical smokers and Weber kettle barbecues. Contact us before booking if the barbecue model is important to you; certain barbecues may be limited on the day of the class.
- Tea or coffee and a bacon roll on arrival
- All the ingredients (we do not want you to go hungry!) and fuel for the class
- A barbecue for each pair of participants (people who come alone and groups of an odd number will be paired with someone else to share a grill).
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (electronic format)
- Alcoholic drinks – available to purchase
- Classes can be cancelled/rearranged up to 2 weeks prior to the class date. After that cancellation/rebooking fees are payable unless we can fill your space. Where refunds are payable they are subject to a 2.1% fee to cover non-recoverable expenses we incur when processing payments.
- Advanced written warning of any food allergies or dietary requirements is needed. We cannot always accommodate all dietary requirements, please contact us before booking if you have a dietary requirement.
- Participants are required to wear flat, closed sole footwear for the class, we cannot allow entry to people who are not wearing this type of footwear.
- Classes are only for participants aged 16 or older (due to a licensing restriction over which we have no discretion). Participants aged 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult participant for the duration of the class.