Wanting to grill something more interesting than bangers and drumsticks? Or do them, but better, with total mastery of fire? This is the class for you - it’ll take you from relative novice to confident barbecuer with a range of techniques at your disposal. This class is all about direct grilling - for indirect cooking see our Low and Slow Class.
In this hands-on barbecue class we introduce the a broad range of the key concepts for grilling success:
- Choice of barbecue and adapting your cooking to different equipment
- The best fuel and failsafe lighting techniques
- Temperature control and adapting to the British climate
- The key cooking grilling technique: 2-zone cooking
- Use of rubs, marinades, cooking sauces and spritzes
- Use of plancha
- Barbecue safety - food hygiene and fires
During the class we cook a range of dishes:
- Grilled fish (catch of the day - the best fish available from our fishmonger on the day of your class)
- Spatchcocked quail with pomegranate molasses cooking sauce
- Turkish-style marinated chicken shish kebabs
- Smash burgers
- Grilled seasonal veg
- Barbecued fruit
We prepare the ingredients as a group and participants work in pairs to to look after each barbecue, 2 people to a barbecue. The barbecues we use for this class are a mixture of Kamado Joe's Classic Joe (similar to the Big Green Egg), ProQ vertical smokers and Weber kettle barbecues. If you wish to learn using one of these models in particular please contact us before booking the class as the numbers of certain barbecues may be limited on the day of the class.
Upcoming class Dates
All our class dates for the 2018 Summer season are now published. Join our mailing list and we'll update you about future class dates, including our winter and Christmas Classes. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
- Classes can be cancelled/rearranged up to 2 weeks prior to the class date. After that cancellation/rebooking fees are payable, unless we can fill your space.
- Advanced written warning of any food allergies or dietary requirements is needed.
- Participants are required to wear flat, closed sole footwear for the class.
- Classes are only for participants aged 16 or older. Participants aged 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult participant for the duration of the class.