This is the class for owners (or prospective owners) of ceramic barbecues like the Big Green Egg or Kamado Joe. We cover everything you need to know to get great results from your ceramic barbecue:
- Choice of fuel
- Fire and food safety
- Lighting the barbecue
- Temperature control
- Use of wood to produce smoke
- Use of heat deflectors for indirect cooking
- Direct grilling
- Looking after your barbecue to ensure years of flawless performance
During the class we cook a range of dishes, using techniques that are particularly suited to ceramic barbecues:
- Smoked chicken with a spicy rub and a tangy cooking sauce
- Planked fish (catch of the day - the best fish available from our fishmonger)
- Reverse-seared steak - our preferred method for juicy, tender beef
- Grilled seasonal vegetables
- Slow-grilled seasonal fruit
We prepare the ingredients as a group and participants work in pairs to to look after each barbecue, 2 people to a barbecue. The model of barbecue we use for this class are Kamado Joe's Classic Joe, which is equivalent in size to a large Big Green Egg.
What we provide:
- Tea, coffee and a bacon roll on arrival
- All the ingredients and fuel for the class (we do not want you to go hungry!)
- A barbecue per 2 participants
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (normally electronic format, printed copies available on request)
- Alcoholic drinks - available to purchase
Upcoming class datesSaturday 1st June, 10.00am - 3.00pm. £125
Not familiar with Kamado Barbecues?
These are one of the most effective outdoor cooking tools - and, once you understand them, one of the easiest to use. Made of clay, they have a high thermal mass which means they maintain a very even temperature. Their airtight seals and precise vents mean that you can control temperature very easily. And they are among the most fuel-efficient barbecues we have found: we have cooked for over 10 hours on a single batch of coal.
All this makes them fantastic for long low-and-slow cooking (did someone say brisket? Or pork shoulder?!), as well as fast grilling.