Many consider Low and Slow and cooking with smoke to be the epitome of barbecue cookery. In this relaxed class at London Barbecue School we demystify the techniques and tricks of using these methods and of making the most of inexpensive cuts.
During the classes we discuss:
- Selection and preparation of meats
- Choice of fuel and woods for smoking
- Adding flavours with ingredients: rubs, marinades, cooking sauces
- Adding flavour with smoke
- Barbecue set up (including ceramic barbecues like Big Green Egg, kettle barbecues like Weber grills, vertical smokers like ProQ or Weber Smokey Mountain)
- Cooking and resting
In this class we cook and eat:
- Smoked beef shortribs - tender, juicy, beefy - many people's idea of barbecue perfection. We cover dry brine, spice rub and mopping - for flavourful, moist meat.
- Pork ribs - ribs to tickle everyone's fancy. We will learn to trim the ribs, use spice rub, cooking and make finishing sauce.
- Slow-roasted lamb shoulder - fall-off-the-bone, juicy meat. We'll use a harissa and spice rub, slow cook the meat and pile it into soft, white buns.
- Hot smoked salmon - fast, sophisticated and delicious fish. We will learn to cure and hot-smoke fish.
We will also discuss how to cook other low and slow classics (that would take too long to cook in a 5-hour class):
- Pork butt / pulled pork
We prepare the ingredients as a group and participants work in pairs to to look after each barbecue, 2 people to a barbecue. The barbecues we use for this class are Kamado Joe's Classic Joe (which is equivalent in size to a large Big Green Egg) and ProQ Excel Elite (bullet-shaped smoker) and Weber's Mastertouch 57cm. If you wish to learn using one of these models in particular please contact us before booking the class as the numbers of certain barbecues may be limited on the day of the class.
What we provide:
- Tea, coffee and a bacon roll on arrival
- All the ingredients and fuel for the class (we do not want you to go hungry!)
- A barbecue per 2 participants (if you come on your own we will pair you up with someone else)
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (normally electronic format, printed copies available on request)
- Alcoholic drinks - available to purchase
Upcoming class datesSunday 25th August, 10.00am - 3.00pm. £125
Saturday 14th September, 10.00am - 3.00pm. £125
We have now published all our 2019 Summer Season dates. The only dates in 2019 that are still to come are our Christmas Classes, to be held in November. Join our mailing list to hear about these, and our 2020 classes. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.
- Classes can be cancelled/rearranged up to 2 weeks prior to the class date. After that cancellation/rebooking fees are payable, unless we can fill your space.
- Advanced written warning of any food allergies or dietary requirements is needed.
- Participants are required to wear flat, closed sole footwear for the class.
- Classes are only for participants aged 16 or older. Participants aged 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult participant for the duration of the class.