BUTCHERY AND BARBECUE
Combine smoke, fire and pigs and a quasi-magical alchemy ensues. Add in an even better awareness and understanding of the pig – and how it is prepared – and it will take your porky barbecues to another level.
The formula for this relaxed, fun class is simple: our butcher Matt breaks down half a pig with us, then we prepare and cook it. There is plenty of opportunity for discussion and to learn about butchery and quality meat from Matt, and about barbecue from our tutor.
- How a pig is butchered
- The differences between traditional British cuts, and US “barbecue” cuts
- What factors makes for the finest pork
- Sausage making
- The appropriate barbecue techniques for excellent cooking, depending on the animal and the cut
- Grilled secreto, Denver and loin chops
- Smoked sausages (made during the class)
- Hot and fast pulled pork
- Quick sides
The class is mostly based around demonstration, discussion and eating. The main barbecue techniques we teach and use are:
- Direct grilling
- Hot and fast indirect cooking (and when it is appropriate instead of low and slow)
- Rotisserie cooking
- Tea or coffee and a bacon roll on arrival
- All the ingredients (we do not want you to go hungry!), equipment and fuel for the class
- Sausages made during the class to take home (please bring some means of keeping them cool for your journey home)
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (electronic format)
- Alcoholic drinks – available to purchase
UPCOMING CLASS DATES
No class dates scheduled. We do not plan to run this class in 2024.