CANTONESE BARBECUE MASTERCLASS
Of all regional barbecue cuisines, Cantonese is one of the most beguiling. Visualise windows filled with hanging roast ducks; plates of crisp roast pork belly; and just sliced, tender char siu, the meat’s juices dripping into steaming rice. Then imagine the smells…
This class, taught by competition-winning Anglo-Cantonese barbecue chef Lap-fai Lee, brings Hong Kong to Peckham. You’ll learn about the ingredients and methods needed to cook some of Cantonese barbecue’s greatest hits and will go away primed to recreate them at home.
- Sourcing and selection of meats
- Authentic preparation, including air-drying
- Choice of fuel and woods for smoking
- The key cooking techniques involved, including how to reproduce on different types of barbecue (or in a conventional kitchen)
- Barbecue set up, both ceramic barbecues like Big Green Egg and indirect grills/smokers
- Cooking, resting and serving
- Cantonese roast duck 燒鴨
- Pipa roast duck 琵琶鴨
- Char siu 叉燒
- Siu yuk 燒腩仔
- Egg fried rice 炒飯
- Stir fried greens 炒菜
Ingredients are prepared as a group (some demo, some audience participation) then different items are cooked on different barbecues. There will be opportunities to get involved with the food preparation and to manage a barbecue (if you want to) but we do not rigidly allocate people to specific barbecues for this class. Everyone will be seated communally to eat.
We use Kamado Joe Classic Joe II barbecues, tao burners, and vertical smokers for this class.
- Tea or coffee and a sausage bun on arrival
- All the ingredients (we do not want you to go hungry!) and fuel for the class
- Notes and recipes for you to keep (electronic format)
- Alcoholic drinks – available to purchase
- Classes can be cancelled/rearranged up to 2 weeks prior to the class date. After that cancellation/rebooking fees are payable unless we can fill your space. Where refunds are payable they are subject to a 2.1% fee to cover non-recoverable expenses we incur when processing payments.
- Advanced written warning of any food allergies or dietary requirements is needed. We cannot always accommodate all dietary requirements, please contact us before booking if you have a dietary requirement.
- Participants are required to wear flat, closed sole footwear for the class, we cannot allow entry to people who are not wearing this type of footwear.
- Classes are only for participants aged 16 or older (due to a licensing restriction over which we have no discretion). Participants aged 16 or 17 must be accompanied by an adult participant for the duration of the class.